Friday, February 19, 2010

Do Parents Name their Children "Lucifer"?

Mr Andrew asked the Literature class to see if the name "Lucifer" is included under baby names. While I couldn't it in any baby name websites, Yahoo!Answers had this:

My husband and I have actually had that discussion. Lucifer, if you can get beyond its traditional usage, is really a beautiful name. It means "bringer of light" or "morning star," and it flows nicely. Unfortunately, most people will not be able to get beyond the fact that it has been used as an alternate name for Satan. We just had to ditch the idea when we thought of what my husband's very traditional grandmother would say...So in summary, Lucifer is a very pleasant-sounding name with a nice meaning, but it is probably not a good thing to actually name a child. I'm hoping that somebody has the guts to reclaim it, but it won't be me.

Well... sounds like quite a nice name for such an evil person...

1 comment:

Kalsom said...

Actually "Lucifer" was only associated with Satan during the rise of Christianity. Wherein the Christians would spread their religion buy giving everybody else's religion a massive mind fuck. Which is what they did to the Sun worshipers to fuck with their heads.

Wow I love knowing facts :P